Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Bursar's Office grew out of the work of the Accountant and was officially established in 1947. The Bursar's Office was responsible for Carleton's financial services, management of endowment funds and accounting, including collection of student accounts and payroll. As chief non-academic officer, the Bursar's primary duty was to advise the President on the resources needed to provide support for the educational process. This included measuring the efficiency of the financial operations and the upkeep and security of university grounds and buildings. Until the mid-1960's the office also formulated and coordinated all non-academic policy and activities. In 1948, the Accountant became a formal position under the auspice of the office. In the 1960's the University underwent increased growth, forcing the Bursar's Office to spawn financial, administrative, and physical plant officers. In 1960, Physical Plant was created as an administrative unit and later became a subordinate department in 1966. In 1965 a controller was added to the financial division of the office followed by a purchaser in 1967. To handle the university's increased administrative needs, an Officer of Administrative Services and an Officer of Personnel were appointed in 1967. The university also established the Computing and Data Processing Centre (later called Computing and Communication Services and now Information Technology Services) as an administrative unit in 1966 to meet its increased technical needs. In the 1970's the various divisions of the Bursar's Office broke away to become subordinate departments - these included the Finance Office (1970), Administrative Services (1970), and the Office of Instructional Aid (1971). In 1973, the name of the office became known as the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
Responsibilities that were once under the Bursar's Office are now under the Financial Services (University accounting) and the Registrar's Office for students. Past appointed heads of the Bursar's Office included Elizabeth M. Meikle (Bursar, 1947-1948), Frederick James Turner (Bursar, 1948-1970), A.B. Larose (Vice-President Administration and Bursar, 1970).